In-Vitro Fertilization (IVF) is a process in which the fertilization takes place outside the body. This process involves the fertilization of eggs and sperm in a laboratory and once the embryo is formed, it is then placed in the uterus for conception. The first successful IVF Treatment was done in the year 1978. This initiative was taken with intent to provide a solution to the childless couples, suffering from infertility issues.
Today IVF treatment has become practically very common. Millions of healthy babies have been born with the help of IVF Treatment and it is an excellent choice for countless couples who have been struggling to get pregnant. With the advancement of technology, use of modern labs, and the success rate that it delivers, IVF Treatment has become a boon for the childless couples in fulfilling their dream of parenthood.
In this article, Dr. Mohit Saraogi, a well-known infertility specialist will tell us about the success rates of the IVF procedure and what are the factors that affect it. He practices in one of the best IVF centres in Mumbai, Saraogi Hospital which is highly successful in IVF.
How successful is IVF in Treating Infertility?
Considering IVF or In-Vitro Fertilization, it is a treatment done to help patients and couples with a wide range of Fertility Issues. If you are looking for getting the IVF procedure, it is advised that you undergo the procedure at IVF centres of major metropolitan cities like Mumbai, Delhi, Bangalore and so. This ensures the quality of treatment, that the latest technology is used and that you get experienced doctors.
IVF Treatment has often responded well for infertility caused by various factors such as:
- Endometriosis: It is a painful disorder in which tissue which is similar to that of the uterus lining grows outside the uterus. This condition usually involves the ovaries, fallopian tubes and the tissue lining of the pelvis.
- Ovulation Disorders: These can be a variety of conditions that affect a woman’s hormones and ovulation patterns. Ovulation disorders can cause irregular ovulation or the absence of it, which is the cause for irregular menstrual cycles.
- Fallopian Tube Blockage: If a fallopian tube is blocked then the sperms cannot get to the eggs and cannot fertilize it. Apart from that, the path for the fertilized egg back to the uterus is also blocked. Common causes for blocked fallopian can be scar tissues, certain infections, and pelvic adhesions.
- Antibody problems that harm sperms or eggs: There can be the presence of certain antibodies in the body, that can either be sperm or egg killing. These antibodies create a hostile environment which do not let the process of fertilization happen.
- Unexplained Infertility: It is the infertility that is idiopathic that its cause remains unknown even after performing infertility work ups.
However, if a couple is facing infertility issues, consulting a Fertility Expert can help provide a better solution.
What are the factors determining the success rate of IVF treatment in India?
IVF is known to be one of the most effective Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART), and the success rate of IVF depends on a wide range of circumstances. One of the major factors in the success rate of IVF Treatment is the age of women. Those under 35 years of age have better chances of success compared to women above 40. However, IVF Treatment has successfully helped women conceive, irrespective of the stage of their reproductive life. Some other factors responsible are:
- Biological Factors: Women with ovulation disorders, premature ovarian failure, uterine fibroids, or men with erectile dysfunction etc.
- Hormonal Imbalances: It is caused by thyroid dysfunction or PCOS i.e. Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome etc. can have a great impact in the success of IVF Treatment.
- Recurrent Miscarriages: it is defined as the loss of one or more pregnancies, affects the woman’s ability to conceive.
- Lifestyle factors: such as smoking and excessive drinking leads to serious reproductive consequences for both men and women. Studies have also shown that being overweight or obesity can have a strong effect on the success rate of IVF Treatment.
- Previous pregnancy: In such cases, even with or without ART, a couple can have increased chances of getting pregnant again with IVF Treatment.
Similarly, a laboratory plays a crucial role in the IVF Treatment. Carrying out the complete process of fertilization requires a pure environment based on the quality of air, temperature, etc. An advanced IVF lab will go above and beyond the basic requirements to ensure that the embryos are given the best possible start.
Although the success rate of IVF implantation involves certain element of uncertainty, choosing the right fertility clinic that offers IVF Treatment with advanced technology and modern labs can do a lot to contribute to a successful IVF Treatment and hence, it is the most important factor in determining the IVF success rate.