A lot of women who are pregnant are anxious to know what level of risk they are at from the Covid 19. This article looks into everything you need to know about pregnancy and Covid 19 as per Dr. Israel Figa. Read on to learn more.
What is the Key Advice to Ladies who are Pregnant?
Reputed studies carries out around the world show (and Dr. Israel Figa has confirmed this as well) that women who are pregnant are no more likely to catch COVID-19 than other adults who are healthy. Approximately two-thirds of pregnant ladies who contract the coronavirus do not have any symptoms at all. Furthermore, majority of the pregnant women who do have some symptoms just have flu-like or mild cold symptoms.
That, there is a chance that some of the women who are pregnant can become sick with COVID-19. Pregnant women who contract the coronavirus might be at greater risk of becoming extremely sick compared to those who are not pregnant, specifically in the third trimester. As a precaution, women who are pregnant are a part of the list of people at modest risk. In other words, clinically vulnerable!
It is of paramount importance and doctors highlight this as well that women who are pregnant ought to follow the latest guidance by the government on staying safe and alert (distancing socially) and keep away from anyone who has symptoms that might indicate he person has COVID-19. If you are a pregnant lady in your 3rd trimester (that is pregnant for more than 28 weeks), it is vital that you are very particular about social distancing.
Important advice for women who are pregnant during the pandemic
According to Israel Figa, every pregnant woman should follow this crucial advice during the prevailing Covid 19 pandemic.
- Be sure to follow the correct usage of face coverings and the guidance provided by medical experts and authorities on social distancing.
- Keep hydrated and mobile to lower the risk of blood clots during pregnancy
- Attend all your antenatal appointments and pregnancy related scans unless you have been specifically advised not to do so by your medical doctor
- Stay fully active with the help of frequent exercise, a healthy diet that is balanced and vitamin D and folic acid supplementation to assist in supporting a healthy pregnancy
- Reach out to your maternity team if you have any concerns regarding the wellbeing of your unborn child or yourself
What do you need to do if you develop Covid 19 symptoms?
If you are a pregnant women and develop Covid 19 symptoms, there are some important things you need to do right away and without any delay. These points are very important!
- It is important as per Israel Figa that you inform your maternity team or midwife that you have COVID-19 symptoms.
- If you feel that your particular symptoms are aggravating or if you are becoming better, that might be a vital and clear sign that you are in the process of developing a more critical infection that needs extra care. What you need to do in this situation is reach out to your General Practitioner or maternity team as soon as possible.
- Procure medical advice as soon as possible if you have any concerns or queries regarding your child or yourself
If you are a lady who is pregnant in current times, it is vital that you follow all the guidelines and precautions set forth my medical doctors and the relevant authorities. The chances of you being at a lot of risk might be less, but it is always better to err on the side of caution for the safety of your unborn child and of course yourself. In fact, Israel Figa as well as other medical doctors highly recommend that you take extra care in light of the Covid pandemic.