Time, like a Runny Nose, Waits for No One -

Many people do not realize they are being exposed to mold in their homes. Even when they start to develop mold exposure symptoms, the sickness often gets mistaken for something else. Because the symptoms are often common ones that may point to a different illness, people often fail to get an accurate mold sickness diagnosis. Even doctors often mistake these symptoms for something else, and so the person suffers without even realizing what the real problem is.

Mold can form in homes and businesses easier than many people realize. Once water gets into a structure, it becomes susceptible to the growth of mold. There are thousands of different mold varieties, many of which can make a person sick. Toxic black mold is one of the best-known examples, but even the less toxic varieties have the capability of harming a person’s health. Even a short exposure to mold can cause issues, but a person’s health can really suffer the longer the exposure takes place. Sometimes the negative health effects can be short-term, if the mold issue is discovered and resolved, but there can also be long-term health consequences.

In the beginning stages of mold exposure, a person may brush off symptoms as just a seasonal allergy. Sneezing and eye irritation are common, as are headaches. Mold exposure could also cause a skin redness and rashes, or itching. More advanced mold exposure can result in a myriad of health issues, such as breathing disorders, nausea, chronic fatigue, depression, heart palpitations, muscle and joint pain, and many other symptoms. Unfortunately, many of these symptoms are also common to other illnesses, and mold exposure as the cause is often missed.

Mold spores are often to blame for many of these health issues. As mold grows inside a home, the concentration of mold spores continues to increase. An elevated mold spore count inside a home is one of the things an inspector will look for if mold issues are suspected. When the level of mold spores inside a home are higher than what they are naturally outdoors, this is a sign that mold is growing within the home.

Over time, a person’s symptoms and illnesses can intensify. The effects of mold exposure can be cumulative. So, the longer a person is exposed, the higher the concentration of mold particulates becomes within their body, and the sicker they become. The body’s immune system will attempt to fight off the attack, but over time, the immune system can wear down.

If a person is experiencing symptoms that not only do not seem to go away, but even seem to increase over time, it is important to get a proper mold sickness diagnosis. There are a variety of tests that doctors can use to make the connection between a person’s symptoms and mold exposure. Additionally, getting a professional home inspection for mold is an important step to take when there is a suspicion that mold may be causing sickness. It is important to understand that different people react differently to mold exposure, and one person may develop symptoms more quickly than another. So, just because everyone in the family does not have symptoms does not mean that mold is not present within a home.

Author